Reported by Dr . Lenore E. Walker, a prominent expert for battered women, a woman must experience at least two accomplish battering cycles before she can be labeled a “battered woman“. The cycle has three phases. First the exact tension-building phase, followed by the explosion or acute battering incident, then the calm, loving respite- often referred to as the escape to paris phase.
Battered woman syndrome describes a set of symptoms obtained in woman living in battering relationships. The four general traits are:
- The woman believe it’s her fault
- The woman’s incapacity to place the responsibility of the violence elsewhere
- The woman fears for my child life and/or her children’s lives.
- The woman has the impact that the abuser is omnipresent and omniscient.
- Women want to find out that according to research spousal abuse does not typically set up from a problem with the relationship, but instead begins with the man’s emotionally charged insecurities, low self-esteem and abusive behaviors witnessed within the childhood.
There are many reasons a woman would stay in an rabelaisian relationship. Among them: reinforcement during the honeymoon stage after simply being beaten, loss of self-esteem, women feel they are the peacekeepers within the relationship, adverse financial consequences, Threats from the batterer that will kill self or children, learned helplessness.
Many of these adult females still love the abuser even after they leave, by whatsoever methods. But they must understand that in order for the battering significant other to change he must go through a two step process to receive help for his abusiveness. First he must suffer harmful consequences for the violent behavior and then he must go through professional spouse abuse counseling. If drugs or alcohol were definitely involved he must also be treated for the addiction.
The batterer must believe and accept these five concepts:
- Admit responsibility for the abuse
- Understand the use of abuse to control loved one
- Understand the level of emotional dependency on the part of the abuser
- Achieve the ability to recognize low levels of anger and to use annoyance management techniques
- Have empathy for the victim
Once beyond the abusive relationship a woman can overcome the feelings with inadequacy and helplessness that were brainwashed into her though being in an abusive relationship.